Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Spring Fever


MAY DAY! I'm so glad spring is officially here. I was even happy to be able to mow my lawn the last couple of weeks. It was great to be able to get out there again. Winters can be so long!

Today when I went walking as I usually do on my lunch break, I was feeling pretty high. The weather was perfect and I noticed especially how the breeze would create flutters of tiny round seed pods from the trees that almost looked like warm snowflakes blowing in the air. They would settle on the water and the river would quietly float them along. They covered the ground on either side of the walking path where they caught in the grasses and were so thick you could shovel them. How amazing - there were billions of them. It's a wonder we don't have a regular forest here! I guess only the lucky few really get to become trees. Surely they all aspire to such a fate! But even those that don't created a lovely sight for me today. I was grateful to not be plagued with allergies so I can always enjoy the spring without such a nuisance as many people must deal with. The trees almost all had leaves or blossoms - a few were still sparce, but looking alive nevertheless. The most amazing crop of wisteria lines the path. It has lavender grape-like clusters that are so thick and unbelievably fragrant. (I liked it so much last year I bought one and planted it in my back yard. I actually have one cluster on that little bush this year!) It was such a nice experience - hated to go back to work. What a shame to be stuck in an office on such a day as this. Enjoy!


May Day

Sarah Teasdale

(1884-1933)

A delicate fabric of bird song
Floats in the air,
The smell of wet wild earth
Is everywhere.

Red small leaves of the maple
Are clenched like a hand,
Like girls at their first communion
The pear trees stand.

Oh I must pass nothing by
Without loving it much,
The raindrop try with my lips,
The grass with my touch;

For how can I be sure
I shall see again
The world on the first of May
Shining after the rain?




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!