Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Blast from the Past

Michelle's blog entry reminded me of my first cell phone. I happened to find this YouTube ad featuring the one I had. Seems pretty bulky by today's standards but that was a great, dependable phone. Chris had one too and we got good service and the thing was sturdy. Since I was on a government contract I got a great deal paying only for minutes used and sometimes my bill was only $2 for the month. I don't think I ever exceeded $7. This is history!


I've noticed how funny some older movies are too that feature early cell phones. I really liked Multiplicity - one of the funniest movies ever made in my opinion. He pulls out this brick phone on the construction site - it dates the movie I guess. At the time these came out, we felt so free and they were portable - even if a bit heavy! Even the cordless phones at home were huge but we really thought they were something! Of course now we lose them. In days past phones did not get lost!

As for today's cell phone - I'm back to a brick, though smaller and a reliable Nokia after losing my fancy slider on election day. I didn't want to pay a lot for a new phone and I hate contracts so didn't want to go that route. This is serving me well for now.

1 comment:

  1. ha! That's funny! I remember when i was a nanny for a doctor and she got her first cell phone and she was soooo excited because then she could answer her pages and not have to pull over to a pay phone at the gas station all the time...cell phones have come a long way fast! However, i still prefer the super simple, no frills ones...if you can find one like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!