Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

On the 10th Day of Christmas

I gave myself the gift of cable. I'm not even a TV watcher so it sounds crazy, but I realized it's commercial TV I really hate so I'm trying alternative programming. It's a bit of a splurge so I'm spoiling myself here.

It started when my DSL was having trouble (modem may have been going bad or something) and it wasn't such a great price anyway. It was to begin with (promotional pricing) but then I just never re-evaluated. Of course when I cancelled they offered me a $5/month discount to stay. Had they offered the discount earlier, maybe I would have.... Let this be a lesson. I've seen Qwest do the same thing if you threaten to discontinue phone service.

Now I decided to go broadband on the internet and thought I'd package it with TV and give it a try. The kids were frustrated when I was making Christmas cookies and insisted we watch HGTV when they knew there was Disney, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon as alternatives. We're pretty restrictive with the kids' TV viewing so I told them homeschoolers needed to watch History or Discovery. It wasn't all that bad, I did let them watch a little Disney channel earlier in the day.

I was VERY impressed with the Comcast installer. I think his name was Jared and I intend to write a commendation for him. I really appreciate people outstanding in their field and in this case he was out standing in the snow at times, trying to figure out the complex wiring in this house from the previous owner. They had lived here many years and he had to try to figure out if wiring was already in place for cable (or if it was even any good) and it might have been satellite anyway. But, he was persistent, patient, very friendly and had to do lots of work!

So, we'll see if I become a couch potato now.... oh, yeah - I don't have a couch presently (that's a long story but it's part of the staging of Chris' house because his furniture is in storage). I've been home from work the past two days with laryngitis and a cold/cough I picked up from the kids (much of my work consists of counseling people on the phone so no voice makes it tough). Anyway, this allowed me to actually check out a little of the programming. Now if I can just figure out the remote...


Below is a fun view of a Comcast project. Be sure to watch.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I work for Comcast and noticed your blog. I'm so pleased to hear that the installer impressed you. If you'd like to email your kudos to our team, we'll be sure to get them to his supervisor and the leadership team.

    Kind Regards,
    Melissa Mendoza
    Comcast Customer Connect
    National Customer Operations
    We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, hooray!! I think you might surprise yourself and get hooked! It's ok, it happens to all of us :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!