Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Echoes of Old Songs ~ 100 years

I got the shirt...
I am so grateful I had the opportunity to attend Granite High School. It was a school with character; one of the first in the valley, opening in 1907. The Song of the "G" says, "...echoes of old songs and cheers..." Attending and today while touring, I felt the echoes of many students over 100 years' time who walked the halls, lived, breathed, loved, studied, worked, cheered, sang, danced, competed, and played here. I attended in Granite's "Glory Days" before the population dwindled. It was stiffly competitive with around 2500-2700 students at that time. I gained experiences here that I could not have in any other way and the time would never come again. Those brief three years I spent here went by so quickly. There is more to school than the knowledge gained through study and I am proud to say I'm a Granitian and a "Farmer Forever." I thank those who were part of my education, who gave me a well-rounded experience in life which helped prepare me for my future. I didn't learn everything here but what I did was unique and very special to me. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. Now the school is closing and another history book closes. (Read about the closure by clicking here.)

I'm so glad I got to go to a school that was old, that had history, character and ghosts from the past. Today I roamed the halls and took a few photos to remember these very special days.
The Seal. At sophomore orientation we learned never to step on the seal. If someone caught you doing it, you had to clean it with a toothbrush. It was inlaid tile.
The main stairway of the science building (main building). This was the coveted spot for campaign signs and banners.
Lots of well-known people hailed from Granite. Top right is KSL radio's Doug Wright. Top photo on the left is Steve Brown, local sportscaster. Dian Thomas is here, Gerald Ottley and many others.
An old picture. Originally the North end of the "new" building was the senior high and the south end was the junior high.
An old pep club uniform
Band, cheerleader and pepclub uniforms
Granite memorabilia. The spotted vest was part of the male chearleader's uniform my senior year.
Around my era - late 60s
My senior year's Pep Club uniform (My sister, Carolyn had this one). I was in Pep Club the year previous to this one. They were the rebels. They convinced the sponsor, Nellie, to allow a darker (navy) blue and even some white in the plaid and a shorter skirt. Previously (up through my year in the group) it had to be royal blue and fire engine red with NO white in the uniform at all. Our trademark was the red petti-pants we wore that showed when we did the can-can which was part of every performance.
A classroom where English was taught.
A science lab room
We actually had flags in the room and real chalk boards
The office entrance and counseling center.
In the ballroom - the museum of memorabilia through the years.
The auditorium where we did our musicals, assemblies, dance programs, etc.

Home Ec
More stairs
Sardine hall (lots of sophomores were assigned lockers here - the dreaded spot because when students were using this corridor which connected the two sides of the main building and more students were getting into their lockers, we were packed like sardines.
Classic yellow tile throughout the science building

Lockers - in the general vicinity of mine
Principal, Leland Bird
The officeThe "G" in front of what used to be the "L" building. We were a rare school in the area because it was a campus made up of multiple buildings. We still only had five minutes between classes to go up and down stairs, in and out buildings, often at quite a distance, up more stairs, maybe even a stop at the locker or bathroom. We had to hustle.The floor I marched on
From the bleachers where I sat
The football field
The Song of the "G"The court

This is where we sat in Pep Club

Driver's Ed classroom was right by the outside door to the parking lot and student driving cars.Stage access and more balcony gym seating.
This is how we got to the home side of the basketball court. there was no floor seating; all balcony.
The tunnel - you had to go down under the gym and out the other side to access the parking lot. So every morning and afternoon we went down, then back up to get to the building.


She is calling, calling to you ever, honor the grand old "G"

1 comment:

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!