Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Dad update

Nobody had mentioned it until I spoke with the respiratory therapist last week but dad has developed ARDS (Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome). Read here for an explanation of the disease which often occurs with seriously ill people. Since he is much more alert (and even angry at being there now) it is a bit deceiving that he is getting better. This is a major complication and while his O2 needs are so great they are not progressing him as I would like. I also feel the staff has labeled him as "confused" because they can't understand him and he doesn't "obey their commands". I think he's only confused when they drug him and of course they can't understand him - he has a trach! We've been able to figure out a lot of what he has to say, including yesterday's emphatic, "When I get out of here I am NEVER coming back!" He clenched his fist and pounded it - pretty clear to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!