Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Peace

I agree with Becky Thomas (a columnist at MormonTimes)about what is most desired.  It's not all about fun and material comforts don't bring peace.  Here are her desires in this realm:
The peace of a clear conscience, the peace of no contention, the peace of not offending others, the peace that what I am doing is in sync with my Heavenly Father's will, the peace of knowing that he has not forgotten me, the peace that fills the unrest, sadness and questions of a broken heart.
Dr. Elia says of stress: 
Long-term exposure to stress can make us physically sick or lead to emotional and mental breakdowns. Basically, mismanagement of stress is a long-term neglect of our needs. When I suggest to my clients they need to take a day or two off to reassess their direction in their life, or company, or family I get the typical push-back response: "I can't afford to do it," to which I reply, "You can't afford NOT to do it!"
After another bout with illness - keeping me in bed for five days (and so out of character for me) - I realize I need to deal with this one myself.  I am letting go of toxic relationships and ignoring people who are ridiculous, selfish and needy, including some immature adults and those with personality disorders that border on those of BDM - so recently in the news.  It's not even worth saying his name or feeding into his self-importance.  I would much rather speak the name of Elizabeth Smart who will live in history and who is such a wonderful example for young women everywhere.  I plan to focus my time and energy on these people and not waste my time on those who are so out of touch with reality there is no reason, logic or common sense.  Dealing with such people is harmful to my health.

In other news,  "Christine O'Donnell's TV ad declaration, "I'm not a witch" during her U.S. Senate campaign topped this year's best quotes, according to a Yale University librarian.  Read here.  And a friend of mine, Harold Nolte made number two on the New Yorker's Top Ten Would Be Words list.  Read here.  Anyway, there are plenty of good things going on out there.  I have the best kids and grandkids, the greatest ward family, friends and neighbors.  I am grateful for this.

And, in case you were wondering or perhaps questioned how they could possibly enforce this - "U.S. District Court Judge Henry E. Hudson found that Congress could not order individuals to buy health insurance"Read here
"Neither the Supreme Court nor any federal circuit court of appeals has extended Commerce Clause powers to compel an individual to involuntarily enter the stream of commerce by purchasing a commodity in the private market," he wrote. "In doing so, enactment of the [individual mandate] exceeds the Commerce Clause powers vested in Congress under Article I [of the Constitution.]
My opinion - either do universal health care as it is done in Japan or other countries where it works or don't; but you don't do it half-way and pass laws requiring the impossible.  As an example of how messed up this country is - they are starting to charge for basic services such as police and fire (if used) - basically removing it from the public domain where everyone gets the benefit and adding others, because of course "the Government" can't take care of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!