Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Good Reminder

Joel Campbell made some good points with regard to recent attacks against the LDS church, which tends to offend and raise our ire. He suggests taking a higher road. I will try harder to do as he suggests. http://www.mormontimes.com/mormon_voices/joel_campbell/?id=5904

Tom Hanks did some backpeddling and I have to respect his retraction since his comments had been extreme.
"Last week, I labeled members of the Mormon church who supported California's Proposition 8 as "un-American." I believe Proposition 8 is counter to the promise of our Constitution; it is codified discrimination. But everyone has a right to vote their conscience – nothing could be more American. To say members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who contributed to Proposition 8 are "un-American" creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement. No one should use "un- American" lightly or in haste. I did. I should not have. Sincerely, Tom Hanks." (People.com)
It takes guts to admit you were wrong or that you overreacted, using extreme wording. It is entirely true that to label LDS views being expressed as un-American is un-American in itself. I like Tom's acting and this makes me respect him more as a person, even if he disagrees on this principle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!