Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Tip of the day

Natural drain cleaner:

Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar. Try heating the vinegar in the microwave before adding it to the drain. Wait 5 minutes before flushing the drain with 2 quarts of hot water. You can repeat this process a few times if it is necessary. If this is the first time you have cleaned your drain in a long time it may be necessary to repeat the baking soda flush a couple of times.

I used this on a clogged bathroom sink.  I couldn't remove the little piece that plugs it off and which probably has hair stuck on it, but the sink would not even drain so I tried this.  After the first application I used a plunger (yeah, the toilet kind) and brought up some junk, then I did it again and the drain is running well.  I still need to get the dillywhopper fixed so the sink can be plugged, but at least I don't have standing water!  It's great to find a natural solution and this works better than any of the caustic chemical products I have used in the past.

Another good reminder about preparedness here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!