Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Want some cheese with that whine?

It's been brutal at work. I got back after 10 days off on Tuesday and changes had occurred originating from managers and filtering to the nurses. Working for the state of Utah means I make 18% less than other states and agencies, according to the most recent market analysis. The standard line is that the pay is not great but the benefits make up for it.

Well, not so much any more.

The legislature has eliminated much of what is good about it. Morale is in the toilet, we have huge caseloads and can't get caught up. We haven't had a raise or even COLA in 4 years, our health insurance is not great (Last year I had to pay a $420 copay for an antibiotic), deductibles are up, benefits are down and they took away our flexible schedule. Now they have shuffled us and I need to drive twice a week to another location, adding 40 minutes to my day and costing more in gas. I can't go home for lunch on those two days and I know how hard it is to split time between two places. Inevitably whatever I need is at the other office... and to make matters worse, they're bringing in another nurse to be in my office those two days and I get a whole new caseload. Just when you think you're starting to settle in...

So, that's today's rant. I know, I know, I'm supposed to just be grateful I have a job. That's what the legislature is banking on anyway. And I am grateful - really! But, would it be so bad to get a little respect and appreciation? I think I would like to retire.

3 comments:

  1. Things will get worse if Obamacare goes through, your benefits will suck unless you join Congress. Hmmmmm, maybe I should do that since I have had cancer then they won't be able to take away cancer benefits and go through my bank account!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Julia aka Mersea. Very worried about Obamacare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would care to have some. :)
    --------------
    BPO

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!