Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Working 4 Utah ~ Life Elevated

Governor Huntsman today announced that state employees will be working Monday through Thursday to save millions of dollars in building costs, getting cars off the road and thereby saving fuel and congestion - even unclogging mass transit systems on Fridays. I am happy to see government agencies thinking outside the box when it comes to tightening belts. Rather than laying off employees or raising taxes to balance the budget, there are other options. I think it's a great idea.

I also think it would be great if schools went to 4-day weeks. I'd love to see three day weekends for all families - a day for errands and appointments, a day for work/play at home and a day of worship. I see this as a positive balance in life. Of course I also believe they should not have homework because they do need balance - time to work, eat with the family, do sports, participate in religious activities, play and relax once their "workday" is done. I'm a bit of a radical here I know.

I have worked nine hour days to allow me to take every other Friday off for some time now. This will force me to do something I have resisted - add one more hour each day in order to have EVERY Friday off. I'm sure I'll adapt but it would be oh so much nicer if I could just cut my hours!!! My ideal is four 8-hour days per week. But alas, it is not to be! Meanwhile, kudos to Governor Huntsman for taking positive action to help with fuel costs along with additional energy-saving actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!