Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

She's apparently out of town and I actually planned ahead for her gift to arrive promptly today! Wouldn't you know it, when I'm on time, it's still late. Murphy's law in action I guess.

My mom is young, active, super-intelligent and a world traveler. I guess that's some of what I want to be when I grow up, though we have definitely taken different paths in our search for happiness and most of the time I realize I'm not the favorite child :) - I know usually we say, "I was the favorite..." Then again, is "child" the correct word at this point? Offspring?? Progenitors?? Or as the Bible say, "seed"? It seems when sibs get together they all have a different view of who was the favorite - at least my kids do.

It's kind of weird as children lose their role as children. Then parents seem to be either too involved (interfering?) or uninvolved (neglectful?); neither of which really makes us happy! What to do.... As parents, this is a difficult dilemma.

I do wish her the best and a happy birthday in Idaho. Hope it's been a fun weekend trip for her.

2 comments:

  1. not the favorite child? that's funny...but I hope you are joking :) as a mother you know that you don't have favorites silly! Each child is so different and takes on different roles as they grow up I think....as a child it's easier to connect w/your parents, but as you get older it gets harder as you have your children and they have their children etc....and your focus changes.
    plus, you are the oldest! you never got hand me downs!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Well, actually I welcomed hand-me-downs from Kathy but the problem was she was so much taller I had to wait too long for them! I do remember my mom saying, "Why can't you be like Carolyn?"(I was quite emotional and cried easily). Your mom seemed to brush everything off easier. She never had acne and her teeth were naturally straight and her hair had natural curl too. Of course I was jealous. Like you said though, they're each different.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!