Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

O Pioneer!

I learned when doing some family history that I have lots of "Mormon Pioneer" ancestors, as well as some other adventurous souls who joined the westward migration later on for various reasons. It was interesting to me to learn about this. Since I wasn't actually encouraged to be active in the church when I was growing up and these stories had never been told to me, it was all new and amazing. I wish I had more than just what I can find in genealogical research. How great it would be to have the stories passed down. It was on my dad's side and he just wasn't into it. We didn't spend much time with my paternal grandparents so I didn't get the stories from them, even though they were responsible for my being baptized a member of the church. When I started spending Saturdays at their house to help with housework, it was only after my grandmother had had a stroke and we didn't talk much. I was also quite shy around them - the result of spending so little time there. Now, I really regret not having known about these ancestors and asking questions!

The pioneers include one from the Martin Handcart company and one from the Willie Handcart company (both of which were the ill-fated, late-traveling groups in 1856). There were others in regular wagon companies who fared better, though one became ill enough he never completely recovered and died of tuberculosis at about 35 years of age.

The first is Sarah Emily Wall who traveled in the Willie company. She was 16 and her brother, Joseph Laban. about 18 when they came from England alone. They have a fascinating story which includes triumph over travails and tragedy along the way. Such stamina and bravery is hard to imagine. Perhaps their youth was on their side, but they had to go it alone regardless and rely on each other. Sarah Emily (called Emily) married one of her rescuers about three years after their arrival in the Great Salt Lake valley. He proposed right away but while waiting for permission from her parents (the letter had to travel to and from England by letter/ship), William Michael Cowley was called to serve a mission in California for three years. She waited and married him on his return.
Sarah's brother Joseph settled in the town they came to call Wallsville, later renamed Venice, Utah.
Paul Gourley and his family also suffered much in the Martin company. They lost family members, burying a baby in Nebraska. Another child's toes had to be amputated after freezing in the "gunnysack makeshift shoes." I have his story too, part of the tragic emigration. I understand there is a statue of tribute to these pioneers that represents his family, located in the Sons of the Utah Pioneer building in SLC. Some day I have got to get there to see it!

William Fowler, who wrote We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet, also emigrated with his young family from England. Becoming ill from sleeping under the wagon at night with exposure to the elements while he was ill apparently exacerbated a tuberculosis infection. They were called to settle in San Pete county and he became so ill he could not teach so his wife, Ellen, took over the duties, caring for him, their home, children and teaching school for the community. They were destitute when he died way too soon at 35. Ellen had left a well-to-do family in England but she dared not suggest to them how needy she was since they had opposed her joining the church.
These are a couple of the stories that were recorded. I wish I knew more of them all. (And I wish I had more time to further explore the ones I know). They truly are worthy of the recognition they get on this day in Utah.

Becky Thomas wrote a very nice story about her family pioneers. Anyone who branches out to brave the new world they are led to is a pioneer. It's nice the here in Utah we get to have a "Pioneer Day" and acknowledge sacrifices made by people who came to know God in their affliction. Click here or on the post title to read it.

An article about "This is the Place" actual location can be found here. There is a marker for the actual place which is a little bit away from the famous monument honoring the occasion.

There is a "Brigham's Family Ball" at This is the Place Historic Park on Saturday. It sounds really fun in the style of early pioneer recreation with dancing (including instruction) and entertainment for the whole family. Tickets are only available online. I assume they want a count for food. It's held on the plaza so should be pretty nice!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this story! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky; I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!