Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Phone - (I love a deal!)


I got tired of Qwest a long time ago and I have never gotten sucked into their internet/TV/phone deals. It's a long story but the monopoly and gouging was really getting to me. It was a huge ordeal getting the phone bill transferred to my name alone and in the process they managed to jack my bill up by $5 (the current "good deal" they were offering). Still, it seemed the only option for a home based phone.

I was reluctant to lose my number even though I'm most accessible on my cell phone and I had decided to give up the land-line when Jenn and Fred moved out. So, I had seen ads for Magic Jack and then learned that Rob was using it at his business. I checked out some reviews and I decided to give it a try. $20 a year for unlimited calling in U.S. and Canada. It goes through the computer so you need to have high speed internet (DSL or Cable) and keep it on to receive calls - I do that anyway, but in sleep/energy-saver mode. The jack itself costs $20 and they have a 30 day free trial going on. They only bill on day 31 so if you don't like it you can return it by then and no charges (maybe the shipping - around $6 I think). The adults in my home all have cell phones now and I am never home anyway. There's a slim chance you could be out of power and unable to use it, but in a crisis land lines can be a problem too. I have considered that but realized I was paying a lot for that "maybe" need.

Late added note: I'm having a little trouble with this now. For some reason I'm no longer getting a dial tone. I need to check into this. Some online discussion says sometimes this is a problem and you have to just return it for another jack. Trouble is, that means another new number. I'll keep you posted in case you're interested.

It arrived in one day and was super-simple to set up. I had to get a new phone number because they don't yet have number transferability - they said it might be in the future but it was worth it, especially since that is mostly for a backup. Anyway, it looks like I'll be saving $550/year - more than enough to pay for my high speed internet. Way cool! You'll have to ask me for the number if you need it. I just love a bargain and I loved telling Qwest I didn't want their overpriced service. Now I have just one little complaint about t-mobile... I'll work on that one.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your blog inspires a person to re-evaluate their budget. I like how you're looking "outside the box" and sharing what's working.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!