Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Random Thoughts for Today

Gag Order

:(n) a judicial ruling barring public disclosure or discussion (as by the press) of information related to a case ; broadly : a similar nonjudicial prohibition against the release of confidential information or against public discussion of a sensitive matter.

Pretext

: (n) a purpose or motive alleged or an appearance assumed in order to cloak the real intention or state of affairs.


"Some family trees have beautiful leaves, and some have just a bunch of nuts. Remember, it is the nuts that make the tree worth shaking." ~Author Unknown

Abraham Lincoln, when accused of being two-faced replied, "If I had two faces, do you think I'd be wearing this one?" (Gotta love his sense of humor)

"The great advantage of living in a large family is that early lesson of life's essential unfairness." ~Nancy Mitford

"A friend who is near and dear may in time become as useless as a relative." ~ George Ade

(I don't feel mine are useless, but I sometimes feel that I am to them)

This song came to mind today...

Smile though your heart is aching;
Smile even though it's breaking.
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by.
If you smile through your fear and sorrow,
Smile and maybe tomorrow,
You'll see the sun come shining through for you.

Light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever so near,
That's the time you must keep on trying,
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile,
If you just smile.

Feeling a little cynical, a little anxious, and a little sad.

6 comments:

  1. It's been obvious for weeks your having a lot of trouble with someone you love a lot. I'm so sorry about that. Your fierce love for your family is very clear through your blogging. I hope that love conquers all soon enough for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashli,
    Of course we all have troubles at times - high points and low points in our lives. Unfortunately those of us who feel passionate and need to express it sometimes get in trouble! I'm obviously not so good at treading softly on some sacred subjects (Like Obama et al). I notice that among some Godless, he has assumed that role to them. Maybe there's a realization that they need to believe in a God after all.

    But, dietizing any man is scary to believers in God. One thing I've learned is that to disagree with him or his policies is tantamount to blasphemy among liberal circles. Somehow Bush-whacking for eight years was fine (because he was "wrong") but suggesting that Obama is anything less than perfect is cause for disowning the dissenter (or at least worthy of a gag order).

    No doubt it's safest to avoid politics and religion. The divide is getting greater all the time with left and right moving further apart. It's a spiritual war and believers are seen as stupid and not "fact or evidence-based" while nonbelievers see themselves as more intelligent because they avoid the intangible.

    I'm sure you know what I mean, even though our own beliefs differ and sometimes cause strife. Defenders of the faith are often met with hostility and I like to think those who are with Christ are still more than those who are not. It just seems so ironic that wars are started over differing views. I have no doubt that if we were able to be truly Christ-like at ALL times, we could have peace in families as well as the world.

    Sorry if I have taken advantage of your sympathetic comment. I am very excited about your new home - it really looks beautiful and I'm sure will be a blessing worth the wait after all. You've definitely had a trial by fire recently yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Debbie, I do know what you mean. I think those of us who use public forums (Facebook, blogs, etc.) to write in have all been hurt at one time or another by a thread-gone-wrong. We've all had to apologize a few times for the WAY we have said things, but we shouldn't have to apologize for our stand and opinions in general. These are, after all, "editorial" type forums.

    It complicates matters a bit when friends and family are your audience, because no good person truly wants to hurt someone they care about, but it happens when hot topics and emotions are involved. I've found that generally an apology and a little time heals all wounds in these regards. And if it doesn't, that person really must not care about you as you thought -- because when you care about someone, that shouldn't be conditional on what they believe and think about politics and religion.

    Healthy debate in politics and religion is one thing -- we should expect that to occur when we say things publicly (I have to remind myself of that!)

    But no one should have to quiet their voice in these kinds of forums as long as they are respectful. In my opinion :-)

    Hang in there ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again! Your insight is valuable for sure. You are absolutely right that we kind of put ourselves out there sometimes! I guess we have to remember our priorities and hope others will too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so bad about how you have been feeling lately. I wish we could go back in time and somehow change things so that hurtful things wouldn't be said! I empathize with you and wish I could make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nat! I appreciate your empathy. You guys are great. Enjoy the vacation.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!