Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Living the dream...

We're definitely the Boomerang Generation.  If I was a baby boomer, surely my children are baby boomarangers.  Daryl Hoole wrote an article, My House; My Rules.  She has some suggestions I think we will discuss.

I have the "advantage" of never having been an empty nester; we just have a revolving door.  So I haven't gotten a routine yet that is disturbed by the presence of children and grandchildren.  Still, multi-generational living, which is becoming ever more common in the current economy, presents challenges.  What is most disturbing to me is that it also sometimes causes relationship problems.  Let's face it; they like me better when they don't live with me - and I mean ALL of them.

I do believe in our church philosophy and welfare plan that families help first, before other resources.  I'm glad I have been able to help some of my children in their times of need.  When we are able, it is our obligation.  There are plenty of truly homeless out there.  As long as we have family we should never be homeless.

"This is no mere trend like Generation X. This change seems here to stay until the economy gets back on its feet. The job market is bleak. The dream of home ownership has become impossible in this economy. Even renting when you don't make a decent salary is impossible."

I think Ms Hoole's advice makes snes and we need  to review some expectations so we don't take advantage of each other while trying to survive in this topsy-turvy life.  This is such a phenomenon you can even read books about it.  Other articles can be found here and here.

3 comments:

  1. I think it goes the other way too, my parents seem to like me much more now that I no longer live with them. (They'll deny that, but it's true)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read any of the books you listed? If so, what did you think of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just received two of the books and I'm starting the Boundaries one right now. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!