Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Modern-day Helen

With the addition of modern-day technological assistance, this high-achieving teen is becoming all she can be and then some. She performed in her high school play, singing and dancing. She reads two forms of braille and knows sign language. She is beautiful, inside and out.

Click the post title to read the story of Burgon Jensen. I love Doug Robinson's writing, but I've noticed they don't always keep the articles available long-term so read it quick before it disappears! (published Sunday, Sept. 20, 2009)

One of her poems:

"Who Am I?"

I'm known by most as the "Blind Girl,"

By others "The girl that can't see."

When I walk, I walk with the aid of a cane,

But that's all people really know about me.

You may see me walking unnoticed somewhere

Or maybe just sitting alone

My courage is constantly tested,

And my flame of hope is frequently blown.

You may see me smiling at nothing,

And usually I don't say a word,

But please don't get the wrong impression,

Because this doesn't mean I'm unheard,

I'm willing to speak to those who listen,

I'm willing to listen to those who speak,

I want to help those who stand in the shadows,

I want to give hope to the weak

I was sent here with eyes that couldn't possibly judge

To teach people the meaning of the word sincere

Because in the end, what you see can often deceive you

And things aren't always what they appear,

So now you know my story,

Why I'm called "The Blind Girl."

By others "The girl that can't see"

When I walk, I walk with the aid of a cane

But now you know so much more about me.

— Burgon Jensen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story. I would have missed it if you hadn't posted it.

    When it's all said and done, and our lives are over . . .when we get the opportunity to compare our lives and our challenges to those of someone like Burgon Jensen's, how sad it will be for us to realize how mightily we complained about our small trials. Perhaps trials are given to us to help us come to know who we are.

    She knows who she is.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments. Please identify yourself. Thanks!